Now get to work!
At DragonCon 2014 on Friday night at 7pm, I’ll be giving a presentation in the Hyatt Hanover A – B called “Congratulations, you’re creative. Now get to work.” I invite all creative types to visit and have a chat about your creative career.
I meet so many people telling me they’re an artist, creative, and have a passion for what ever it may be. Great, welcome to our creative circle of trust. Now get to work. I’m sharing with you my professional philosophies that have brought my success in a happy, healthy art and design career.
If you just need a job, everyone needs to be born, to be educated, and to die.
There will always be jobs in those three areas.
Power of your people
- Funny people are successful.
- Smart and funny people are more successful.
- Being pretty doesn’t hurt, but it doesn’t always work.
- Drink with friends. Don’t take drinks from strangers.
- Good sportsmanship is always admired. Bad sportsmanship is always recorded.
- Embrace your unique style.
- Take pride in your work.
- Never give someone the stick to beat you with.
- Wolves smell weakness. Present yourself in a manner that is kind, strong, confident, and prepared.
- Work for knowledge, not money.
- Ask weird questions. They get the best answers.
Design Industry Business Practices
- Don’t just stand there, do something or get out of the way.
- Don’t say or THINK anything close to “oh, I don’t know that software . . “Oh, I only do ____________.”
- Learn, take chances, and learn some more.
- Get lost just to learn how to find your way.
Always, always, always changing. That’s the one thing in life we know for sure – things change.