September 2, 2016
DragonCon Panel | Part I
Today we’re going to focus on you as a creative person and the three areas you need to be aware of: yourself, your relationships, and your process.
Yourself: What is your motivation magic and your core values?
What are you creative about and why? What magic keeps your creative heart beating? What motivates you to keep going?
What are your core values?
Activity: Take a look at this list and check all that apply to you. Then go back to the ones you checked and circle the top five.
Relationships: Power of your People
Who are the people you surround yourself with? Do you have a powerful circle of people?
- Funny people are successful.
- Smart and funny people are more successful.
- Being pretty doesn’t hurt, but it doesn’t always work.
- Drink with friends. Don’t take drinks from strangers.
- Good sportsmanship is always admired. Bad sportsmanship is always recorded.
- We don’t have to like you to respect you.
- Always know where the lines in the sand and sticks are.
Activity: Take a moment and introduce yourself to a person in the room near you that you don’t know yet. From here forward, start to become more aware of who you allow into your life and what power they bring.
Process: Just because you take a different road does not mean you’re lost.
- Art is an adventure of the mind.
- The creative process can be the best part of the artistic journey. Do you really understand yours?
- What do you do that gives you back motivation or makes you start to think of creative ideas? Are you making that a part of your process?
- It’s in the details sometimes: What do you eat? What do you wear? Where do you go? What are you listening to? Who’s in the room with you?
But really, here is the process:
- I have an idea!
- Record it now. (ex: write it down, draw it out)
- Plan how to get there.
- Start. Start again. That’s okay, start again. You got this.
- Follow through.
- Accept it.